Friday, February 22, 2013

Working on my Fitness....

First off, Mondays ride was not a fluke as Wednesday ride was just as fabulous. So happy!! Pippi is bending  great and moving off the leg better. I stood a half circle of the arena at the trot, so I am getting better. But most importantly I HAD FUN and so did Pip.

In the fall we audited a clinic with Daniel Stewart. It was a great clinic, and Miranda hopes to ride in it this fall when he returns.
One of the things that Daniel (we are not on a first name basis) stressed was rider fitness. According to him Equestrians place a lot of emphasis on equine fitness and health, but do not spend enough time and effort on their own. This leaves 50% of the partnership lagging behind. Bio mechanics are very important for riding, and our job is basically to stay out of the horses way. To do that we need to be in shape, and able to apply aids independently without losing overall balance. We need to be fit.

I am strong believer in this. If Riding is a sport, we must be athletes and athletes stay fit. I do agree with that...... I also think that chocolate and sweet tea is a balanced breakfast, and that the cheesy tots at BK are sinfully yummy and I like to read romance novels on my Kindle while eating popcorn. Working out is such a chore!!! There is no "work out high.," LIARS!!
According to Trainer I need stronger legs, and so I am working on that. Since I hurt (bowed elbow tendon) my arm in December, I have not been doing my Yoga, but I did again last night. Holy stiffness Batman! It did not make my arm worse, so I will continue with that. I also spent some time on the Dreadmill, got me nowhere reasonably fast. I also picked up one of those elastic band things at WalMart in the sale pile for $8. It attaches to a door, and you can use the bands for legs and arms. I attached mine to the front of the Dreadmill, and I am using it to strengthen legs, inner leg muscles in particular.
Soon I will be able to squeeze the manure right out of Pippi, and we can throw away the nut crackers for sure. My plan is to work out on the days I don't ride. So I plan to ride more.......Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Feedback! I learn so much from hearing from readers, it is the real value of writing a blog.