Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Saddle dreams at better price? Hell yeah!!

2017 was not a good year for riding..... as a matter of fact it feels like 2017 was a complete wash, and early 2018 was starting out to be the same. Pippi was just "not right." She was not "feeling herself." I know that is vague, but I'm not sure how else to explain it. Her back hurt, she developed a windpuff on her right hock and she just didn't move right. Her cycles seemed to cause her pain and she skipped some. It was like she had ongoing PMS, and she was not happy.

Now I am not going to list all the things that were done to help, let's just say we spent a lot a time down the rabbit hole looking for solutions. Ended the year with a course of Regumate, which helped. (expensive and difficult to administer, but it worked) So in 2018 I made the executive decisions that my instincts were going to rule the day, and after installing a new lightbulb (read about it HERE) ), which helped a lot, we started Depo shots and Pippi is cycling on time with minimal discomfort. Fingers crossed!

So we are back to training YAY!!

I asked Amanda Berges from https://thesaddletree.com/ to come check my saddle.  Amanda is a trainer, rider and highly trained saddle fitter, and was super helpful. Go check out her website for great info.
Amanda had good news, the old Niedersuss wasn't a bad fit, it needed reflocking and new billets, but it was serviceable. The flocking is very hard, and Amanda thought that if nothing else it was aggravating Pippis back pain. While she was there I was able to try a few really great saddles. The first one was not a good fit, and Pippi made it clear that she didn't like it. Amanda watched me walk and trot in it and was decisive in her comment "nope, not a good one."

Then we tried a Black Country Eloquence X.



via GIPHY

The Eloquence X is built on the Freedom Tree, which is a hoop tree. Those are especially built for tanks.(Sorry Pip) Those are especially built for ..... broads.... wide backed, barrel shaped horses, with smaller withers. ie Pippi. I made this collage to show the difference in an Eloquence with a regular tree and one with a Freedrom tree (The Eloquence X) . Above you see pics of Pippis shape.


I think it is quite clear which tree was more suitable for Pippi. Pippi agreed and moved in ways  previously not experienced. She was soft, able to engage hinds better, and was forward and easy. Amanda knew I was not in the market for a new saddle, and assured me that with new flocking the Niedersuss would allow us to have some of the same feelings.
So we said goodbye and that was that....

Only it wasn't! I couldn't stop thinking about that saddle. The way Pippi felt, the way she moved, the way she breathed under me. The way her spine bent, and the short seat which fit her short back. The feeling of having two balanced seatbones, the way the saddle had supported my position without locking me in. The perfect knee blocks, large enough and soft, but still allowing me to draw up my long legs to find my short barreled horse.


via GIPHY

So I googled and googled, and googled some more.... I googled until my googler was sore. I knew what this saddle cost, and it was worth it, but since I really wasn't buying a new saddle my budget for crazy was very low. I mean I didn't need a new saddle, but I totally needed this saddle....I found a few, very few, and pricey.....

Then in the 26th hour of crazy I decided to expand my search. I mean why was I only searching in America? This saddle was English. Take me to England Google! And Google did!

And I found one! ONE!!! The Eloquence X was in York, England. And at a price that made the shipping cost well worth it. Enter Saddles Select of York! Like seriously!!! (I wouldn't blame you if you left this blog right now, and spent the rest of your time looking at their inventory!!

I emailed them, and Charlotte assured me the saddle was great. The pics were amazing, it looked like a brand spanking new saddle. I emailed Charlotte a few times, to be honest, and she was very kind and helpful. Then I Googled a lot more as I needed to find the dirt on Saddles Select of York. It was a lot of money to send sight unseen, but I found no issues, and days later (it was a lot of money, lots of stress, talking about it incessantly, fretting, worrying, hoping, deciding, changing my mind, until hubby said "sigh sigh, sick of this, get the saddle") I paid and then passed out.
Charlotte emailed me and said congrats and that she would ship it first thing Monday morning. She also assured me again that the saddle was perfect!

On Monday it left York, took a 2 hour 45 minute trip to Coventry, where "the parcel was exported from the UK." Then it was in New York customs, for two days, before it finally made it to Ohio, and my house the next day. Yes, I tracked it like a bloodhound! I stared at the box for quite a while, then gingerly opened it and marveled. It was well packaged in a re-inforced box with bubble wrap around the saddle. I lifted it out and realized that the pics had not done it justice.


This saddle was "used?"  The billets didn't even have creases in them! Not a mark on it. No horse smell either. Just clean, soft, luxurious leather!
If Charlotte had been handy I would have kissed her! High fived and kissed her again! I am thrilled, and after a few rides now, it is clear that Pippi is too. Lateral work? can do! Canter - how long lady? She is loving this new freedom feeling. I'm Horse Poor - but thrilled!

To read more about the Black Country Eloquence X, go here! 

To check out Saddles Select of York (tell them Malin sent you) click HERE!! GO NOW!! 

If you live in the midwest and need a saddle fitter - contact Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Feedback! I learn so much from hearing from readers, it is the real value of writing a blog.