Wednesday, May 9, 2018

WANTS VS NEEDS

I think we all have dreams of what we would like to do and have. All kinds of  wants and wishes and day dreams. My list is long, and I am day dreamer of epic proportions.
I dream of (in no particular order):

New windows
Paying off my sons student loans
Throwing an epic destination wedding for my daughter
Hauling my horse in my very own trailer behind my very own truck
New gutters
etc etc

but you know what? All of those are "wants," and not "needs" and for that I count myself very lucky. After almost 20 years providing housing and rental assistance for low income tenants, I know very well what the difference between the two are. And so I wrote a little mantra to remind myself when I need to buck up and get a grip.


I DO NOT HAVE ALL THAT I WANT,
BUT I HAVE SO MUCH MORE THAN I NEED.
THAT DOES NOT MAKE ME STOP THE WANT,
BUT IT DOES REMIND ME OF MY GREED.


And when that is not enough I enjoy watching Ellen give away money and cars etc, to some very cool people. Here is an example:






The looks on their faces, and the knowledge that their lives had a real lift, makes me so happy. Often these are people with a real need, whose lives will be substantially better for that car or that money. So if you are feeling a little down over wants not coming true, do what I do, and watch Ellen give something away. Just google "Ellen gives" and you will see loads of examles.



And you know what else?  "Be kind to one another!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Feedback! I learn so much from hearing from readers, it is the real value of writing a blog.