Tuesday, May 14, 2013

You are complete and perfect!

One of the mantras I repeat to myself is that I am enough. I have told my children, and will again, that they are complete and perfect just the way they are. This is not a cop out thing, it is not a reason to reject new ideas, or refuse to grow, it is just a reminder that there is nothing inherently wrong with us. We make mistakes, we learn from them and make new choices; that is enough. We give of ourselves, learn to set boundaries and lean on others, we are complete. We are perfect examples of the human species, show quality, every one of us. I am unique, just like everyone else.

And so is Pippi. She is totally perfect just the way she is. A horse. She knows how to take care of herself, and functions just fine without me asking her to do a thing. It is in the asking that I "force" her to adapt to rules not ingrained in her makeup. If horses were meant to carry humans, their backs would have been flat and much more suited to carry heavy loads. But we know that they can carry us, we know the bond and enjoyment it gives. We also know that a horse without those skills can not survive in the world. And so although she is perfect for what she is, a horse, I ask more of her. She now has to adhere to all my rules, and in exchange for this compliance I take care of her needs. But I must keep in mind, that she was enough before the training started, and that I have not altered her to be better. It was all there before we showed up. She was a complete diamond, Miranda just brought out the shine. A diamond is, after all, a diamond even before it sparkles in a ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your Feedback! I learn so much from hearing from readers, it is the real value of writing a blog.